Friday, March 28, 2008

A moment in the sun


With deadlines looming like thunderclouds I've barely had time to breathe this week, let alone turn my mind to blogging. But I did find a few moments to appear on the local news.
It happened after I ran into a camera crew from France 3 television while giving a tour of the Cours Saleya market. We chatted for a few moments and I explained what I do. "A Canadian teaching Niçois cooking to Americans? There's a story in that," said the journalist Olivier, looking amused and slightly skeptical (I'm used to that look).
A couple of days later, Olivier and cameraman Niels showed up to follow my class around the market and into my kitchen, where I had planned a vegetarian menu of socca, artichokes stewed in white wine, soupe au pistou and tarte Tatin. "I don't cook," said Olivier, "but I do know how to make artichokes à la barigoule, so I'll be watching."
I breathed a sigh of relief when he gave a nod of approval, adding only that he likes to throw in some chopped tomatoes in summer (something I'll be trying as soon as tomatoes are in season). A big thank you to Judith from Vancouver, Rosana from Texas and Io from Oregon - their names are mixed up in the video - who seemed completely unfazed by having a big camera pointed at their faces as they perfected their artichoke-trimming skills.
I struggled for ages trying to upload the video, but for the moment all I can offer you is this link. Scroll down to 27.03 - Cuisine niçoise on the right-hand side and you can watch the short segment.
The picture above, by the way, is from my recent lunch at the Château de la Chèvre d'Or in Eze, which I'll be telling you all about very soon.

4 comments:

Sara said...

How exciting! It was so nice to watch the video and finally "see" you. I've been reading this blog for so long and have just found out I will be studying abroad all of next year at the Université de Nice, so I'll be reading with a new attentiveness! The artichokes looked wonderful, I must too confess, I don't know a thing about cooking them, haha.

Lucy said...

You star, you.

Off to see you in action!

Rosa said...

It's great to hear from you and to find out about your blog, Sara. How exciting that you're coming to Nice next year. Keep in touch!

Gosh Lucy, I thought only members of my family would bother to watch the video!

Susan said...

Fun to watch, Rosa! Beautiful workspace, so charming and intimate, yet efficient.